There is nothing better in this world than scones with jam and cream! It seems like such a simple thing to bake! But they can be quite tricky. Follow this recipe and you will bake the perfect scones.
Like any recipe we firstly need to gather the ingredients which are the staples found in any baking cupboard. In order to make the perfect scones you will need: Plain flour, Caster sugar, Eggs, Milk, Baking Powder and Butter.
How To Make your Scones
Take a large mixing bowl and place your plain flour and soft butter in first. Now to the most important part of ensuring your scones will rise! Nothing worse than your scone resembling a biscuit lol! Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour. Lift the mixture often between your hands to incorporate air. Your final mixture should resemble bread crumbs.
Once your mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add in your caster sugar, eggs, baking powder and mix with your wooden spoon. Following on from this add in your milk and gently mix with your spoon. Once mixed add in another 120ml of milk and again mix gently. After mixing this should leave you with a very wet dough.
Next up,,,Flour your work surface and tip out the dough. Use lots of flour on your hands and on the dough to make it manageable to work with, Flatten the dough with your hands and cut out rounds of about one inch thick. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place your rounds on to the baking tray and in to the oven for 15 mins at 200 degrees.
Finally remove your scones and place on a rack to cool. Although I love mine with jam and cream, there are plenty of other fillings you could use such as nutella or biscoff!
For more great recipes head over to my Facebook Page!
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Scone Cutter
- 450 grams Plain Flour
- 80 grams Soft Butter
- 80 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 5 tsps Baking Powder
- 245 mls Milk
- In a large bowl place 450g Flour and 80g of soft butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour. Lift the mixture often between your hands to incorporate air until your mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in 80g caster sugar, 2 eggs and 5 tsps of baking powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add in 125ml of milk and gently mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add in another 120 ml of milk and mix gently. It should look like a very wet dough.
- Flour your work surface and tip out the dough. Use lots of flour on your hands and on the dough to make it manageable.
- Flatten the dough with your hands and cut out rounds of about one inch thick.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place your scones onto the baking tray and into the oven for 15 mins at 200 degrees.
- Remove from Oven and enjoy!