Who remembesr this all time classic! Here is the recipe for old school cake which will take you a trip down memory lane and straight in to the school dining hall!
I am pretty sure you will have all the ingredients lying around! I ended up making this classic this morning as my girls were looking for a sweet treat. Gather together: Margarine/Stork (to clarify or butter if that’s all you have), Caster Sugar, Eggs (Medium sized), Vanilla Extract, Self Raising Flour, Icing Sugar and sprinkles. This of course could be made with any topping you like and I have seen some lovely versions on my facebook comments!
To get us going pre heat your oven to 170 degrees (fan).
In a mixing bowl put 280g maragarine (room temperature) and 280g of caster sugar. Use an electric mixer or fork and cream it together. Next add in your five eggs and mix well. Finally add in 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract and sift in 280g of self raising flour. Mix all this together well to combine all the ingredients.
Time to Bake your Old School Cake Mix!
Leave your cake mix to the side and butter a 12×8 inch tray. You can easily buy these in your local supermarket or i like to buy in bulk on Amazon given my love of baking lol! Place your batter mix into the tray and smooth out. Place your tray in to the oven and bake for 30 mins or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
Once the cake mix is baked allow the cake to cool completely. Meanwhile place 300g of icing sugar in to a bowl and add roughly 4 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well until a thick smooth icing forms. Add more water in small quantities if needed. Finally take your icing and pour over the cake and allow to settle. Take your sprinkles and pour on top and set aside to set!
Once ready enjoy! If you really want that trip down memory lane then you have to have a slice with custard!
- Mixing Bowl
- Electric Mixer
- 12×8 Baking Tray
- 280 grams Margarine
- 280 grams Caster Sugar
- 5 Medium Eggs
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 280 grams Self Raising Flour
- 300 grams Icing Sugar
- 1 Tub Sprinkles
- Pre Heat Oven to 170 degrees (fan)
- In a mixing bowl add 280g of maragarine and 280g of caster sugar. Use an electric mixer or fork to cream well.
- Add in 5 eggs and mix well.
- Add in 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract and sift in 280g of Self Raising Flour. Mix well until combined.
- Next Butter your 12×8 inch tray.
- Place the batter mix in to the tray and smooth out. Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins or until sponge bounces back when touched.
- Once baked allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile place 300g of icing sugar into a b
- wl and add roughly 4 tablespoons of hot water. Mix well until a thick smooth icing forms (add more water if required bit by bit)
- Finally pour your icing over the cake and allow to settle. Pour sprinkles on top and set aside to set.